Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Day 2 Of My Cake-Making Experiment!

So today I took the cakes out of the freezer and tried out the fondant.  Here are the lessons I learned.

1. Homemade fondant isn't the same as store-bought.  I don't think it's the right consistency the next day.
2. Just because it looks easy on YouTube doesn't mean it is.  It was hard to roll- then after I softened it up, it was hard to pick up without ripping.
3. Clean your surface twice. Then clean your rolling pin twice.  That stuff picks up random little specs of food like crazy.
4. Fondant DOESN'T cover up mistakes. So getting it right before the fondant goes on is great. Notice the lumps?

5.  Despite the fact that fondant doesn't taste the best, trying to roll it super thin just makes it tear easily and you can't fix tears.  I'll definitely roll it thicker next time and people can just peel it off later.
Almost looks like melted frosting doesn't it? I'm not sure it looks any better than yesterday!

I did have my other cake in the freezer overnight, and that was MUCH easier to frost than the first cake.
Tomorrow I'll scrape off the edges of the 2nd cake and try the fondant thing again.

My last note to self: There's no way I'm building the castle towers out of stacked cupcakes.  Styrophome is sounding so heavenly right now after dealing with this mess!

1 comment:

Eliza said...

your perseverance is inspiring! I've never decorated with fondant. I've heard of a marshmallow fondant that tastes ok, did you try that one?