Thursday, July 3, 2008

My Testimony

I just read an Ensign article for this month about the life of President Eyering. He has always been one of my favorites, and such a wonderful role model for me. This article was amazing, and really touched my heart. I remember him talking about keeping a spiritual journal every night before you go to bed - and writing down the ways in which you saw God's hand that day. I did start doing it a little, and totally believe in writing down spiritual promptings so you can remember them when times are hard. But then I was reading about joining the online conversation, and sharing our testimonies over the internet... and I realized I do all this talking online and I never share what is REALLY important to me! I have been wondering what would be worth blogging about, and now I have my answer! I have been looking for opportunities to share my testimony, and here it is!
So I want this to be something I can do daily. I want to reflect on the ways I know Heavenly Father is mindful of me. And as I remember them, they will happen more often.
One thing that struck me the most was how dilligently President Eyering studied his scriptures even as a school boy. And that he would rather be studying them than hanging out in the evenings with the other teenagers. I am always amazed when I study the lives of the prophets at the dedication they have to the Lord, and I have such a desire to be like that too. I always notice how often it says "and I prayed about it", because I know they pray about EVERYTHING in their life, and although that's what so many people know the answer is, rarely do we actually do it.
I have a burning testimony that Jesus Christ was and is the Savior and Redeemer of all mankind. He was not just a character in history that people started telling myths about. I have felt His spirit heal me, and know that He is the Son of God, and I will not ever be able to deny it. I know that so many people find it hard to accept what he suffered for them, thinking they are not worth it, or that they can't be forgiven. I have often thought it is too simple to just have faith in Him and let Him take away all my sins... I tried to complicate it more and make it harder. Just as it was too easy for the children of Israel to look up at the Serpent and be healed, so they decided not to do it at all. I do believe it is that simple. He loves us more than we can ever understand, which is why we don't understand how it is possible... but I know that it IS possible, and that He did make a way for me to be healed, and I want to accept that with all of my heart and grattitude.
I know that He calls prophets today just as in days of old. Our Prophet and Apostles today are guided by the spirit. It is so evident in the powerful way in which they speak to us and in the way they live their lives following the promptings of the spirit... It is clear to me that they are working humbly under the direction and will of the Lord.
I also have a testimony of the Prophet Joseph Smith. Of his great calling that he willingly accepted in his life-long obedience to the promptings of the spirit, and his quest for knowledge that he took up to the Lord in prayer. I admire him for his sacrifices, which are more than most could ever bear, and for his powerful obedience in times of trial. I admire his hard work and dedication in bringing forth the Book of Mormon and other books the Lord wanted us to have. Praise to that man and prophet of the Lord.
I have a firm knowledge of the premortal existence. I know that we agreed to certain trials before we came here, knowing the Lord would help us through them. I can never deny that I agreed to be a mother to my sweet Elizabeth, knowing I would not have the priveledge of raising her in this life. I know that everyone else knew about certain trials they would pass through, and were willing to do it. That's why we are here on this earth... because we volunteered (probably willingly and eagerly) to pass through whatever it took to help us become like God. And those who were unwilling to suffer such things decided to follow satan. Miserably giving up before they ever tried.
These things are so precious to me, and I hold them dearer than anything. That I have a chance to be with my family forever, and to strive to become like God in this life and the next... that is all that matters here. And the things of the world are all merely distractions from our true purpose here. I think there are ways to find the good in the world, and use them to benefit the Lord's work here. But satan finds a way to turn every good creation into something he can use for his own plans too. That is why I am going to take a beautiful gift like the internet and use it as a tool in sharing my testimony of God's love with all within my reach.

1 comment:

Jason LuBean said...

Thank you for sharing your testimony. It was immensely helpful and uplifting to me. I love you. - Devera