Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Where to Get Perspective

I went to the temple yesterday for the first time in, I don't know, 2 years? I cannot believe I waited so long. You know how I finally figured out that you really can go when you have a baby? You take turns with your husband!! When I finally realized we didn't have to go together and make all the arrangements for a babysitter (and we wouldn't even know where to find one), it was like a lightbulb went on in my head! More time for personal pondering if you go alone while he's home with the baby! And then the next week it's his turn to go! Sorry, just had to share my epiphany!
But anyway, I am just amazed that I waited so long to go back. It was like, OH YEAH! This is what I'm supposed to be doing with my life! The perspective you gain there is incredible. All of the sudden you remember how amazing Heavenly Father's love for you is, and all the incredible things he wants to bless you with, and that our whole reason for being alive is that He wanted to give us all that He had, and so He created us. How did I get so distracted??
So it's not just about hanging out with friends, working, buying cool things, finding entertainment, and decorating my house? Man, if every member of the church were REALLY attending the temple once a week... life would be so much different. All of the sudden distractions aren't so important anymore.
Now that I know I can go, and I don't have any excuses about babysitters, I am totally excited.
I just have to say I cried throughout the whole session because I was so overwhelmed with how much Heavenly Father is trying to give us if we will just make it our focus! And when everything was over and I was going back to the dressing room, I saw a little girl, around 2 years old, getting ready to be sealed to her family, and I started to bawl. I can't imagine not knowing that my Elizabeth will be with me forever because of the blessings of the temple. But I have His promise that she is mine, and I will get to raise her. That promise and so many more, if I will just try to be like Him.

No comments: