Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Hope through the darkness

I have found it increasingly hard to have any hope lately with my bleak outlook on the world's conditions and especially my own future of being a mom and feeling overwhelmed with all that entails. I know that feeling inadequate is common ground among members of the church, and there is a widespread fear of never being good enough to "make it". It's a hopeless feeling. A feeling I have been struggling with myself for quite some time. But amidst the past year of depression, I have found there is only ONE source of hope in my life, and that is HIM. I am truly thankful for the few moments He has tried to teach me about what it means to be ONE with Him.
In a conversation with my brother yesterday, he asked me why people always quote "mercy cannot rob justice" because it seems to mean justice will take us all in the end. But what it means is that Christ MET the demands of justice, he suffered to the end of that law and EARNED the right to decide where we end up by PAYING for our souls. He litterally bought us, and with that act, He has the power to grant us whatever He wants, with his mercy. My brother then asked why he couldn't just save whoever He wanted, because He'd earned that right. I said that He CAN. But He wants us to WANT it from Him. It seems too easy though, doesn't it? To just accept Christ's gift of salvation willingly? But it IS THAT EASY. Why do we feel like WE HAVE TO DO ALL THE WORK? Isn't that why Moses lifted a serpant up on the cross and told the people they would be healed if they would just look? But that was TOO easy! They didn't belive it could be that easy, and some refused to look and be healed. Isn't that what latter-day saints are doing today? There is SO much emphasis on being perfect, and doing ALL WE CAN DO, that people can't just look up into the face of the Savior and say "I accept!" He has already paid for our salvation, and all we have to do is take His hand, take His bread and water into us to remind us that HE is what makes us perfect, and all we have to do is REMEMBER that all week long until we do it again! We don't have to DO everything perfectly, we just need to keep an environment where HIS PERFECT SELF can dwell inside us, so that we ARE PERFECT with him. Just knowing that Christ overcame it all reminds me that I don't have to! He's already overcome it for me. In my darkest dispair, just thinking about Him brings me so much hope. All I have to do is make room for Him, and get myself out of the way. Because when He is in me, I take on all of His attributes of peace and hope, and perfection. And I don't have to worry about doing it all anymore.

No comments: