Tuesday, January 5, 2010

All About Isaac

I just wanted to take a minute and think about my sweet Isaac. If I don't write down all the precious moments we have together, they will dim with time, and I won't ever be able to get this time as his mother back. He is 2 years and four months.

On Christmas morning when Isaac was playing with his new RC Cars, he was chasing them around the room saying "Gonna Get You! Gonna Get You!" It was absolutely endearing. I wish we had that on video camera, but I didn't have the memory card for that camera anymore. (I have since gotten a new one because I want to have Amelia's birth on video!)
Isaac is a very tender soul and loves to give hugs. Whenever I hurt his feelings, he always needs a hug and kiss before he can go about his playful self again.

He likes to count with me and doesn't know what number is next, but he always repeats them as I say them. He knows many colors and points them out when he sees them. We got him dry erase markers and a little table to use them on, and he loves to color. But the cutest thing of all is when he wipes them off, singing "clean it, clean it". He has to SING it, not just say it. And he absolutely loves to sing. He will belt out his singing voice whenever he hears us singing in church, and when my family was singing Christmas Hymns he chimed in. Every week in Sacrament meeting he claps loudly after the songs and hollars "yeay!" It's a little embarassing, but I can't help but smile. He's watched High School Musical way too many times. But I can tell he definitely has an ear and a passion for music. In nursery the other day when we were singing to the kids, they all just sat there and smiled at us, but Isaac tried to sing along and do the actions with us. I really should sing playful songs with him more- I know he would pick them up so fast.

Another cute thing he has done lately is to pull our hands away and say "Don't touch it," when he doesn't want us messing up a toy or something. The other day when I was crying, he said "Be quiet," and "Stop it." Lol. Poor guy- that must be what I say when he is crying loudly.

He has nearly potty trained himself. We seriously didn't make much of an effort at all except to buy him a little toilet his size and took him potty a few times. He is great about going when we remind him, and twice he went all by himself to the toilet and took his diaper off to go. It's hit and miss with the poopy diapers though- half the time he tells us after he's already gone in the diaper and starts to take it off- the other half of the time he tells us before he goes and we actually get him to go in the toilet. I'm just relieved that he seems so ready, and if we were more consistent he might be fully potty trained by the time the new baby comes.

The other thing about Isaac is that he's such a clean little boy. If anyone spills, he immidiately says "Uh Oh- spilled!" And wants to clean it up. My friend Janel was here from Arizona with her little boy over New Years Eve and when her baby had food on his face during breakfast, Isaac would not stop offering him a washcloth to wipe it off! While I was staying at my mom's house for a scrapoway after Christmas, Isaac liked to carefully pick up the characters in my mother's Christmas village that had fallen over. He also doesn't like his hands dirty and will ask me to wipe or wash them. I'm hoping this cleaning obsession will be a good thing when he gets older! It's too bad he doesn't care when it comes to tossing toys and clutter all over the house.

On thing that amazed me was that he didn't try to open any of the presents that were under the tree all of December. He helped me wrap and put them there, so I think he knew he wasn't supposed to open them, and they belonged there.

Things Isaac hates: getting in his carseat, putting on a new outfit, putting on his shoes and socks. I basically have to hold him down to do any of those things while he wriggles and kicks me away.

Things Isaac loves: sandwiches, juice, treats, cookies, baths and showers. He stands in the shower like a big boy and lets the water fall down his back. It's so cute. And if we get in the way of the water while we're in there with him, he says "Where's the water?" He loves when we read him books. Sometimes he reads them to us, pointing out everything he knows the word for.

Isaac's been drinking from a cup by himself since forever. Seriously since he knew how to eat. We never introduced sippy cups and he doesn't even know how to use one. I always am so amazed when someone Isaac's age still doesn't know how to drink out of a cup! He also feeds himself cereal all the time, and picks up his bowl to drink the milk when he's done. Isaac started standing and cruising at 9 months and would have been walking but he got very sick for a month and had to be held all that time- so he picked it up again and learned to walk just about 11 mos.

The other day I wanted Isaac to turn on the bedroom light while I was sitting in bed. He couldn't reach it so I told him to get a pillow to stand on, and he did! He still couldn't reach it so I pointed out another pillow, and he continued stacking them until he reached the light and turned it off. I was surprised that he got the concept so quickly and was able to get to the final result.

Whenever he wants me to get off the computer and follow him, he holds out his cute little hand and says "Hand," or "C'mon," in a little sing song voice, and when I take his hand he walks me to wherever he wants to go. He has learned "your turn" and "my turn", and when we play basketball he says "missed" and "made it!"

As for talking, he can say several sentences and hundreds of words. His vocabulary is growing so much every day! Some of the phrases he says, we have no idea where he learned them because we don't ever say them! Like "Aw Man!" He says that one all the time, and we have no idea why. The cutest thing is when he's eating something and says "Mmm, yummy" in his really high pitched baby voice. He mixes some words up and calls Soda "Iso," no matter how many times I try to correct him.

I used to let me brush his teeth really well, but now he just sucks off the toothpaste and tries to close his mouth. He learned how to climb out of his crib a few months ago and open the door to his bedroom, so it was impossible to put him down for naps or bed. After one night of him coming out 10 times in a row, I finally put a child lock on his door and when he realized he couldn't get out, he finally figured he might as well stay in bed.

When he gets hurt he says "Sorry," as if apologizing for hurting you, then says "You okay? Yeah." He also says it if he hurts you on accident. He also puts his cup in the sink when he's done with it even though he can't reach, and sometimes it's a glass cup clanking on the ceramic and we're afraid it might break. He throws garbage away in the trash can too.

When we're drinking, he loves to hit his glass to ours and say "Cheers!" I have no idea where he got that one from either. I'm sure there is so much more, but this is all I can think of for now, and I'm just glad to finally have a good start on the journaling.

1 comment:

Trish said...

What fun memories! That is funny that he told you to be quiet when you were crying. It makes me wonder if we should always be shushing our babies when they cry. Hmm...