Sunday, January 10, 2010

So stinking excited to have a girl!!

I saw this adorable little tutu on etsy and fell in love with it to use for baby announcements when Amelia gets here! So I started researching tutus like crazy and didn't know if it would be worth my time to make one myself or if I should just buy one. But I finally decided it would be more fun to make it myself...

So I watched a youtube video on making tutus, and it was so simple! I went out and bought some pretty tulle in hot pink and lime green and here's the result! I did a little whispy "pixie cut" with the pointed edges rather than flat ones to make it more fairy like.
And then I bought these adorable little butterflies and I'm going to crochet a headband like in the first picture and put a butterfly on top! The other butterly I think I'll put on the tutu.

As for the headband, I bought this pretty pink one at a craft show for $1.25, which was a great deal because the other craft booths were charging like $3 for them. But the color is pastel pink and doesn't match.

So now I just need to learn to crochet so I can make the cute headband in lime green (and more in different colors!) But looking at it more closely, I don't know if these headbands are crocheted by hand at all, because I can see machine stitching along each row, holding the pattern together. See?

Anyone know how to crochet these? Or do these crafty girls buy them all from China? (Because I saw plenty of lots for these on ebay) I know there are other ways of making headbands, but I really liked this one and wanted another project to do myself.

I'm so excited for Amelia to get here so I can take her cute pictures!

2 comments:

Trish said...

What fun projects! You know Amber who writes on Wednesdays on the spirituality blog has made a zillion headbands. She said she used baby tights. They seem to stay on her baby's head really well. There is a link on her name on the sidebar of the spirituality blog to her craft website where she has a post about it. Check it out!

heather said...

i made the same kind of tutu for wendy for her first halloween- it was so easy and totally cute! i can't wait to see amelia in it. i'm proud of you for making it yourself, it's more special that way.