There are horror stories and success stories for everything.
And there isn't any rhyme or reason - most of the time it is just random!
You will hear about a baby being born at 25 weeks who turned out healthy as can be!
Or you will hear about a baby being born full term who was in the ICU for weeks, for no reason whatsoever, and ended up passing away for an unknown cause.
You hear about babies whose mother smoked and drank while pregnant, and they came out with no signs or side effects. A success story!
Then you'll hear about babies who are born with random disformities for no reason whatsoever.
And these horror stories and success stories are usually completely unrelated to anything in anyone's control! So whether or not you end up having a horror story, or a success story, really is not your choice at all!
And the bottom line is that life just doesn't make any sense, and nothing in life is fair.
And I really, really don't like statistics. They don't mean ANYTHING for that person who happened to be in the .01% of mothers who have a stillbirth. For them, that statistic was 100%. So the statistic wasn't really an indicator of anything at all.
1 comment:
Dear Bethany,
As you may know my daughter has a severe disability. There is no reason, it just happens. Some days, yes, it does feel like a horror story. Some days I'm actually thankful. But most days it's just life. I wouldn't be able to make it through the day if I thought about the long-term challenges of taking care of her forever and the pain and cruelty that she endures daily, but I can make it through a day. When I am pregnant I am terrified, especially of miscarriages, but you are right, we can't live our lives worrying about statistics. I remind myself every day to be grateful for what I have, because what we have is a lot, and not to worry about what I don't have, because worrying does not help my family. I hope you are doing well, Bethany and Happy Pushing!
Post a Comment