Monday, July 21, 2008

Lessons From Trek





Let me tell you about our family reunion Trek at Martin’s cove in June.
Tuesday morning we got up early to start the Trek through Martin’s Cove. There was a little video right before hand that was very spiritually moving. It talked of the sacrifices those pioneers gave for their testimonies of the gospel, and wanting to be with the church. The wind in that place is unbelievable. Just being there and knowing that those pioneers were there in the dead of winter with that same wind blew my mind. I was impressed by all of the stories they told us along the way... the rescue company that came and the men who carried people through the river all day, dropping them on the other side and going back for more. As we walked across the bridge over that river, I stopped to think about that crossing. So many died as a result of never getting dry from crossing that river.
The walk through Martin’s cove was so quiet, you could feel the spirits of those who died there. I could visualize the tents as I looked out across the grass, and feel the human suffering and cold. Those who lost loved ones took them over the ridge to leave them there, and before they could even get back to camp, they heard the wolves coming down from the cliffs to devour their bodies. I can only imagine that grief.
The walk was long and took us all day. We ended up walking 7 miles and it took us from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. because of all the stops. I was exhausted and my legs were chaffed dry from the skirt rubbing against them, back and forth with every step. We were all so tired of the endless wind.
The next day we had a visitor called “Ephraim Hanks” who told us his great story. He was a man who listened to the promptings of the spirit, and followed them immediately. Because of his obedience, the spirit spoke to him often. He was prompted to go home and visit his family after running away at age 16 and he found his mother a widow because his father had passed away. When he left to find his brother who had gone to be with the Mormons, he was again prompted to turn back and go home. Upon turning back to return home, he met his brother along the way. What a great story of following the spirit. His brother bore testimony of the “Mormons” and the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and Ephraim was converted. Ephraim followed the prophet, Brigham Young, in everything he asked him to do. Once, Brigham asked him to shave his beloved beard and mustache, and he obeyed without bitterness. Another time, Brigham came by and told him to tear down his 8 inch walls and make them 16 inches. Again, Ephraim obeyed without griping, and soon a rainstorm came by and demolished all the houses in that area, but Ephraim Hanks’ stayed standing because he had followed the prophet’s counsel. One night as Ephraim lay in bed, he heard a voice tell him “the handcart people need help.” He heard it three times, and finally got out of bed and readied his horse and supplies to go wherever he needed to go. That morning, Brigham told him the handcart people needed help and asked when he would be ready to go. He was ready at that moment because he had listened to the spirit and obeyed. Along the way, he prayed to heavenly Father for a buffalo coat to keep him warm, and went outside his tent to find a buffalo standing at the top of the hill. When he shot it, it rolled down and practically landed at his feet. He was prompted to save all the meat he could for the handcart company. Along the way, he passed another buffalo and took all that meat too. He ended up being the first one to arrive at the handcart company, and couldn’t get the meat into their hands fast enough, for they were all starving.
What an example of how the Lord can work through us if we are willing to follow His promptings. I am so thankful for the stories and experience I gained on this Trek. After being in a tent for 3 days that blocked out the fearsome wind and rain, I am filled with gratitude at this massive living quarters I live in, with so many rooms and spaciousness, and my ability to stand up straight in this house and roam about so many rooms, and be sheltered from any weather outside. I am thankful to have a bathroom immediately outside of my sleeping quarters, and not have to walk through the horrible wind and rain in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom. I am thankful to have been born in this age where the gospel is established in so many countries and its membership is over 12 million, from the tiny membership of 8 in it’s beginnings. I will always remember that sacrifice each soul gave because they loved their Savior and His church so powerfully, they were willing to do anything for it. As we sang “Come Come, Ye Saints,” in the cove, I was overwhelmed with the feeling that the song is talking about us our day. No toil nor labor fear, but with joy wend your way. Though hard to you this journey may appear, grace shall be as your day. Tis better far for us to strive, our useless cares from us to drive. Above the rest, this song will swell, all is well, all is well. The pioneer spirits were speaking to me, letting me know that whatever hard thing I pass through, I will be okay, and the Lord’s grace will be with me, and their spirits will be cheering me on.

1 comment:

LittleBrownFamily said...

Bethany, that was beautiful. Thanks for sharing that. I was so distracted by other things that I had a harder time feeling what I needed to. I did feel special things, and I appreciate your description. It helped me remember.
~Mary