For Elizabeth's fourth birthday on April 27th of this year, I went to the hospital to take pictures for a grieving family who was taking their baby off life support. That was the most special thing I could do on her birthday.
That was the first time I took pictures on my own for NILMDTS. The second time I took pictures for a family who just had a Trisomy 18 baby, and were not going to put her on life support at all. Both of these times were very difficult for me because the baby is still alive, and you feel like they could pass at any time. It is a very hallowed setting, being there with the families and their celestial spirit who is nearing her return to Heavenly Father's presence. You can really feel the presence of angels on the other side who are preparing to welcome their baby home.
Today I did my 3rd shoot as a volunteer, and it was another treasured experience. I was there with the family taking pictures of their little boy before they removed life support, and stayed with them while they cried with him in their own room, awaiting the inevitable. I then gave them a few hours alone, and returned after the baby had passed. It seems to be so much easier for me to take pictures once the angel has returned home because I don't feel like I'm invading on the family's treasured time with him. It is also very healing for me to be alone with these sweet angels, posing them and taking pictures. It is something I always regretted and wished I could go back and do with Elizabeth, and being able to get that opportunity and give those pictures to other parents is just amazing. I am so thankful to have met this beautiful young spirit today, and will never cease to be amazed at the hallowed setting I am privelidged to be in. I am so thankful for the healing that has come because of this opportunity. The time I spent with that sweet little baby today is priceless to me, and I feel a little bit of Elizabeth every time I go.
3 comments:
Thank you for sharing that Bethany. what a sweet and tender experience.
You amaze me. And I wanted to tell you that Avery (my 3 year old) LOVES your "Jesus" pictures and the temple on your sidebar.
Bethany - what you are doing for these families is priceless! And that you can obtain some healing from it as well is wonderful. What a sweet spirit and big heart you have.
Post a Comment